Workshop Report WG 6: Barcelona Citizen Science Training School “Improving urban environmental health by aligning civic participation and policy making”
Photo by CA15212
City Station was set in the conceptual framework proposed by the engineer and artist Natalie Jeremijenko and was the base for her Environmental Health Clinic in the public space of the city of Barcelona, in the Passatge Trullàs (District of Sant Martí).
The Station consisted of a series of infrastructures to carry out participatory actions in which the city’s people could actively contribute to improving environmental health. The school took the form of a series of recipes related to improving soil and air quality, and increasing greenery and biodiversity, among other things. With the emphasis on the collective research and public participation that characterise citizen science, the Station has the support of the scientific community and local bodies and organisations. The goals were to:
- Codevelop concrete actions that can have a real impact in the city of Barcelona using citizen science.
- Be in contact with a list of agencies and entities within the city council of the municipality and increase link between citizen science strategies and policymakers. Representatives of the municipality will be actively engaged in the training school.
- Codesign participatory strategies in combination including artistic practices and a cultural centre fully engaged in improving the environmental health of the city.
The participants in the training school learned about different local experiences of collective research and participation for environmental monitoring and advocacy (such as improving soil and air quality, increasing greenery and biodiversity). The participants also discussed and debated around the link between participatory research and civic movements.
- have a publication as an outcome to be submitted to a journal during the months after the end of the school on collective air quality measurement (xAire).
- improve current prescriptions the environmental health in Barcelona (visit http://estaciociutat.org, coming soon or just look at the list of current workshops: http://www.cccb.org/en/framework/file/city-station/227726).
- provide new prescriptions that can contribute to improve (visit http://estaciociutat.org, coming soon or just look at the list of current workshops:http://www.cccb.org/en/framework/file/city-station/227726).
On Saturday, we test and put into practice the outcomes of the school. We share experiences and prescriptions to public and invite people to build the there will a final public presentation in Estació Ciutat with the final outcomes of the school (on Sunday).
Date: November 20-26, 2017
Passatge Trullàs, Districte de Sant Martí - Barcelona
in Barcelona (Spain)
Language of Workshop meeting: English
- OpenSystems, Universitat de Barcelona
The participants were:
- Albert, Alexandra (GB, GB): School of Social Sciences, University of Manchester
- Alonso, María (ES, GB): Mapping for Change, London
- Bonhoure, Isabelle (FR, ES): OpenSystems, Universitat de Barcelona
- Daher, Carolyn (ES, ES): Urban Planning, Environment and Health Initiative, ISGlobal, Barcelona
- Liu, Jieling (CN, PT): Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon
- Magli, Rossella (BE, BE): Science Officer at the COST Association
- Masha-Caminals, Amanda (ES, ES): Estació Ciutat, Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona
- Maskell, Gina (US, DE): Environmental Planning, Technische Universität Berlin
- Perelló, Josep: OpenSystems, Universitat de Barcelona
- Ponte da Luz de Sousa, Maria (PT, PT): Architecture of the Metropolitan Territories, Urban Gardening, ISCTE
- Rius Ayra, Oriol (ES, ES): Faculty of Chemistry, Universitat de Barcelona
- Senik, Berfin (TR, TR): Faculty of Forestry, Department of Landscape Architecture, Duzce University
- Thundoo, Melan (GB, GB): Meelan Thondoo, Anthropologist & Socio-economic Analyst, Anthropulse Ltd.
- Troncoso, Andrea (DE, DE): EUSEA, European Association of Scientific Events
- Szuta, Malgorzata (PL, MT): Environmental Resources Authority, Malta
- Weinstein, Zvi (IL, IL): Urban Design Lab research, Tel Aviv University
- Yerli, Ozgur (TR, TR): Landscape Architecture Department, Duzce University
- Zambrano, Perla (MX, ES): Architect, Environmental Science and Technology Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Autonomous University of Barcelona