Improvement tools for the volunteers to combat invasive Phytophthora spp.
Dr. Diana Marciulyniene | Institute for Forestry, Lithuanian Reseach Centre for Agriculture and Forestry, kaunas distr., Lithuania | 12.11.18 to 02.12.18 | 20 Days
Accomplishment within STSM
The STSM project has been involved by creation of the information tools for citizen scientists (volunteers) by increasing science literacy and providing volunteers with skills needed to excel in science. The overall aim of this STSM project was to create clear and publicly understandable protocols that will familiarize with the objectives of the project, its importance and enable volunteers and other public to recognize symptoms of Phytophthora diseases.
Phytophthora is one of the world’s most destructive genera of plant pathogens. They cause wide scale economic losses in horticulture and in the ornamental, forestry and pastoral industries. The invasive behavior of these pathogens, and their ability to adapt to different conditions result in a forest disease problem that has a potential to affect European forestry and forest ecosystems more profoundly than any other forest disease in modern history.
Public contributions can invigorate scientific research and stubborn problems and routine research tasks can become opportunities by harnessing the energy and creativity of the crowd. In developing a Citizen Science platform, we anticipate being able to target under-sampled habitat within urban areas and along the forest-urban interface at a much greater pace, and over larger geographic distances. However, education and the provision of the necessary knowledge are essential to the well-functioning of the platform.
Description of the main results obtained
- Systematized and categorized information on Phytophthora spp., in order to provide clear, understandable and informative information to citizens.
- A protocol for the observation, detection, sampling, and reporting of Phytophthora diseases was prepared.
- Brochure and flyers about the project "Phytophthora - Citizen science" are prepared and send for printing.
- Constantly updated project website can be found here: http://phytophthora.se/en/
- One popular science article is under preparation.
Future collaborations (if applicable)
Continued collaboration with the host institution is planned in the future.
The whole report can be found here