Workshop WG 5: Develop and test an ontology for citizen-science metadata
Based on progress on ontologies already done (e.g. the last report) the Working Group 5 continues its work.
The objective of WG5 is to develop metadata-concepts vocabulary and an ontology to support data sharing among CS projects. WG5 will coordinate with activities on data and service interoperability carried out in Europe, the USA and Australia, and will take into account existing standards, namely Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards, ISO/TC 211, W3C standards (semantic sensor network/Linked Data), and existing GEO/GEOSS semantic interoperability.
- Deliverable 1: Downloadable version of the ontology code via Action website (Task 1)
- Deliverable 2: Standardization of the ontology as sensor web enablement profile for CS by OGC (Task 2)
Plan for the workshop:
- Further ontology development.
- Development of a plan for further refining core requirements, ontology classes and associated relations with input from the larger citizen science community (not only in biodiversity).
- Mapping and documentation of meetings/workshops/conferences on standardization and interoperability in citizen science to be able to build on previous work, to synchronize efforts, and not to repeat efforts.
- Definition of a plan on how to disseminate/standardize results, beyond papers.
Call for Application
If interested: please, send one page motivation letter to luigi [at] 1000001labs [dot] org (Luigi Ceccaroni) <lceccaroni [at] earthwatch [dot] org [dot] uk> and lendak [at] uns [dot] ac [dot] rs (Imre Lendak) <lendak [at] uns [dot] ac [dot] rs> no later than by 25th January, 2018 that shall include the following:
- A short description of yourself (see additional priority criteria to address) and your motivation to participate.
As only a limited number of participants will be subject to COST full funding, two sets of criteria for participants’ selection are presented below.
General criteria for selection
- Expertise in knowledge representation and ontology development
- Expertise in standards related to citizen science
Additional priority criteria
- Geographical spread
- Career stage (particularly involving early career investigators)
- Gender balance
Can be found here.